SAS Audio LabsTM
Morton, Illinois (10 miles east of Peoria)
Established January 1, 1997 by Steve Sammet
Where Music Comes Alive TM
Worlds Most Natural Sounding, Accurate Preamplifiers:
Rich Weiner, Bound for Sound: "The SAS 10A is the most musically truthful preamp I'm aware of, and I will expand that statement by listing some of the line stages I've had in my otherwise very stable system: Herron VTSP-1, VAC CPA III, VAC Standard LE, Audio Research 3A, ARC 8, ARC 10, Mark Levinson ML-1, Levinson ML-7, Levinson ML-10A, Original Aronov PS-100 and Musical Concepts modification, Nagra PL-P, Beveridge RM-1, Rappaport, Placette Passive - there are more, but you get the point. Until I got the 10A, I struggled to make the other components live up to their potential." (Rich eventually purchased the 11A as his reference preamplifier.)
Editor of Bound for Sound Martin DeWulf owns the Reference 11A as well as reviewer Rich Weiner.
From 11A Customer Reviews, interesting little test: Bernie (spab) "I have also tested the 11A in terms of comparing the sound from my excellent cd source directly to amps versus inserting the 11A pre between. I could detect no difference whatsoever.... So, my two cents: the SAS preamps are stellar – with my 11A I hear no compression or any other alteration of the originating signal."
Ray: "your prees are somewhat legendary in there reviews."
SAS Audio 1.5's: During the designing process, the 1.5's were compared to several touted speakers from $4500.00 to $30,000.
Welcome to SAS Audio Labs. Since Jan 1, 1997, SAS Audio Labs has catered to those who wish the finest musical reproduction in the world. Each customer is unique, important and receives special individual attention. Steve Sammet's, chief engineer, designs are for those who have decided to stop the merry go round of new models and "upgrades". Besides his electronics degree, Steve also has decades of research in analog audio design and has been a consultant to college professors and engineering students.
So how is SAS Audio Labs actually different from the rest? By choosing the best design and implimentation, natural/accurate parts, reliability, and reasonable price for us normal folks.
- On the surface some designs and implimentations may address an area of concern, but in greater depth, have hidden problems in other areas.
- Besides specifications, SAS Audio Labs uses proprietary listening tests, that took years to develop, and takes considerable time to impliment. It took three and one half years of listening testing to arrive at the 11A, a near perfect preamplifier.
- In order to obtain a perfect, natural "sound" from a component, all the parts need to be listening tested. To paraphrase what Nelson Pass has stated, once a signal is distorted, it is impossible to bring the distorted music back to pristine condition. For instance, how does one bring back true inner details that are lost? And there are multiple times more passive parts than active parts (tubes or solid state). It is interesting to note that I use NEW tubes which "sound" more natural than the NOS designs. It all depends upon the design, parts, and how they are implimented. NOS does not mean better.
- A totally separate power supply, including power transformer, for each stage of each component eliminates problems that common power supplies are known for, known for over 60 years.
- Reliability is paramount. Only one 10A since inception (January 1997), and one 11A, (2006) has needed repair, tube socket solder connection and noisy Mills resistor, respectively. Tube life appears to be approximately 28,000 hours (24/7). The additional expense of repair, the possibility of down stream components being damaged is something no one should have to deal with.
- We use reasonably priced chassis and non essentials to keep prices low, so more of us normal folks have the opportunity to listen to superior music reproduction.
Checkout each product page and see for yourself. When one builds a superior, properly designed component that eliminates redundant, sonic robbing stages, and virtually no warranty repairs which adds cost (one 10A, one 11A), the price can be exceptional, which helps us normal folks. Steve also sells direct thereby saving the customer many thousands of dollars.
If a company or organization continually offers new models, what does that say about their designing capabilities?
In conclusion, check out my preamplifiers, amplifiers, and new to the lineup, 1.5 speaker page for more information.
I provide a 30 day money back guarantee on preamplifiers, 14 days on ICs. The 10A tube preamplifiers have a 5 year warranty, and the Reference 11A tube preamplifier has a 7 year warranty. 1 year warranty on tubes for all preamplifiers. (Guarantee/Warranty, Return Policy).
I would love to have you stop by and audition my components/system. Simply call or send an email with the date and time. Please allow a day before auditioning. (Directions)
Each page is designed to help educate the consumer when purchasing gear. From time to time, other articles and products will be added; so stay in touch.
I would like to especially thank God for inspiring the designs and parts used.
The articles covering theory require thanks to Walter G. Jung for discussions and his articles entitled "Picking Capacitors". Without these articles and discussions, these pages would be of lesser quality.
Thanks to Svetlana and JJ for allowing us to use their vacuum tube graphics on our site.
SAS Audio Labs
503 W. Jefferson St. Suite 2
Morton, Illinois USA 61550 (10 miles east of Peoria)
TEL: (309) 263-0736
1:00 PM - 6:00 PM CST Monday - Friday
Auditions on weekdays, nights and weekends available
Multicrawl/ SearchHippo.com Web Search
*sas audio labs, SAS Audio Labs, SAS AUDIO LABS, and the SAS AUDIO LABS banner are trademarks of SAS Audio Labs, Steve Sammet."
*copyright©: 12-28-1996 Updated 1-14-2014. All contents of this page article (except Sovtek, JJ, and Svetlana Tubes) are copyrighted. Any and all designs and schematics, layouts of all our components, term "lead to lead wiring", "lead to lead connecting", "we make music come alive", "we make music truly come alive", and "the last watt is as important as the first watt" are copyrighted. All rights reserved. No portion of this article may be reproduced without written permission from Steve Sammet at SAS Audio Labs.