SAS Audio Labs triode preamp
SAS Audio Labs TM
Home | Reviews | Guarantee | DIY Parts/Price list | Specials | White Papers | Audio Links
48 years experience with Tubes
10A Stereo Preamplifiers (Not available at this time.)
Where Music Comes Alive TM
11A Stereo Preamplifiers | 1.5 Speakers | Contact, Directions
Bound for Sound, Issue #163 SAS Audio 10A Triode Preamp is one of only 3 listed in "Exceptional Merit" catagory.
"I expecially feel that way about the SAS 10A, a tube unit of moderate expense that simply stomps a mud hole in just about every active unit made - regardless of price."
Rich Weiner: "The SAS 10A is the most musically truthful preamp I'm aware of, and I will expand that statement by listing some of the line stages I've had in my otherwise very stable system: Herron VTSP-1, VAC CPA III, VAC Standard LE, Audio Research 3A, ARC 8, ARC 10, Mark Levinson ML-1, Levinson ML-7, Levinson ML-10A, Original Aronov PS-100 and Musical Concepts modification, Nagra PL-P, Beveridge RM-1, Rappaport, Placette Passive - there are more, but you get the point. Until I got the 10A, I struggled to make the other components live up to their potential." The 10A has been Rich's reference preamp for over 4 years. However, Richard now owns the 11A preamplifier as his reference preamplifier.
"The 10A excels at tranparency. Not in the sense of being overly analytical, but in the sense that you hear the music as if it was live."
"I liked this preamp…a lot! When I first turned it on, it seemed a bit dark and lacking in air, but in the next 30 minutes, the change that took place was amazing. If there was one word I would use to describe my experience with the 10a it would be evocative…or compelling. But wait, that’s two words isn’t it?"
Earlmarc: "I wouldn't overlook the SAS Audio Labs 10A preamplifier. Bound for Sound magazine did a review comparison of both the Ultra Verve (DeHavilland) and SAS 10A and Martin Dewulf preferred the 10A over the Ultraverve..."
10A Triode Stereo Preamplifier Features, Specs, Shopping Cart Below:
Welcome to SAS Audio Labs. The 10A is known for pure, emotional, unadulterated, life like music. This is one serious preamplifier that has a magic midrange.
SAS Audio offers two models, the "Basic" 10A and "Standard" preamplifier versions. Both are identical except the "Basic" has 3 inputs while the "Standard" has 5 inputs. Swapping out tubes requires simply removing the cover. One or more the inputs can be setup for lower gain and a home theatre bypass can be added upon request. As seen in the reviews, this is one serious preamplifier. Be sure to check out our specials (see link at top of page). Talk about reliability; only one 10A has needed repair since the 10As debute in January 1997, gold plating loosened from one filament tube pin.
10A Stereo Preamplifiers Features:
- A robust 5 stage low reactance power supply provides better isolation from hash and interference from/through the rectifiers, transformer and AC line, for a cleaner, more open sound.
- Can drive 20k and higher input impedance amplifiers.
- Vacuum tube regulation in the high voltage supply; NO solid state regulators or solid state current sources.
- The tubes I use have approx 1/4th (-15 to -18db less) harmonic distortion than a nos 6sn7 or 5687 tube, measured, not figured from the generalized tube curves.
- Simplicity of the signal path. "Lead to lead connecting" (copyright©) whenever possible. Less wire and solder connections than hardwiring.
- No frequency dependent musical/signal feedback from stage to stage through the power supply. Again cleaner music.
- Most accurate sounding parts. This results in more accurate timbre of instruments and voices.
- A three way switch in which one can "tweek" the tonal balance for more flexibility and better synergy with one's audio system. It is in the power supply.
- 45 second Parallel mute function relay, not series connected and not solid state. (The mute function is designed to prevent catastrophic failure in case of power outage. I still strongly recommend the standard procedure of turning off the amplifier first, then the preamplifier.)
10A Guarantee and Warranty
We believe in backing our 10A tube preamplifier with a 30 day money back guarantee. Warranty, 5 years labor and parts, 1 year on tubes, from the date of purchase. (Guarantee/Warranty/Return Instructions)
10A Stereo Preamplifier Specifications:
Frequency Response: 10 - 25 khz (+0, less than -.1db, 100pf, 100k load), Above 100khz minimum -1db (vol control mid resistance)
Gain: 21db gain, approx.
Maximum Output Voltage:
Total Harmonic Distortion at 2 vrms: 0.015% or less. (typically 76 db down, No global feedback)
Min. Amplifier Input Impedance:
1 (for dubbing etc.), None for B10A, Optional
5 (3 for basic B10A)
Line Cord Length:
6 feet standard
120 Volts AC, 50/60hz.
Dimensions: 17 3/4" wide
19" black rack front
10 1/2" deep
(Charged 30lb rate because of dimensions)
Factory Direct Price Basic 10A:
Factory Direct Price Standard 10A:
* Each tube should have low noise and balanced sections.
Excludes Shipping and Handling costs in the continental USA. Please email address and I will figure shipping costs.
To Audition or Purchase the 10A Stereo Preamplifiers
Payment can be made from a Paypal account, credit card through Paypal (do Not need a paypal account: use firstname.lastname@example.org for email address), or Postal Money Order for fastest clearance. Please allow time for Cashiers Check, Money Order (US dollars), or Personal Check to clear. Make checks payable to SAS Audio Labs. Normal shipping is FedEx ground unless specified differently. For second day or overnight shipping, please contact me. Guarantee/Warranty
B10A Linestage Stereo Preamplifier, $1640.00, ($45.00 Paypal fee included, non-refundable):
Standard 10A Stereo Preamplifier, $1795.00 ($50.00 Paypal fee included, non-refundable):
Design and parts subject to change without notice.
SAS Audio Labs
503 W Jefferson St #2
Morton, Illinois USA 61550
TEL: (309) 263-0736
1:00 PM - 6:00 PM CST Monday - Friday
Specifications, Prices subject to change without notice.
"* tm, sas audio labs, SAS Audio Labs,
SAS AUDIO LABS, and the SAS AUDIO LABS banner are trademarks of SAS Audio Labs."
copyright©: 4-29-1997. Updated: 2-19-2014. SAS Audio Labs and all contents of this article, including graphics,
components, component layouts, any and all schematics, regulator design/circuit, "tonal balance circuitry", "lead to lead wiring" are copyrighted.
All rights reserved. No portion of this article may be reproduced without the written permission from
Steve Sammet at SAS Audio Labs. SAS Audio Labs is registered with the state of Illilnois.