SAS Audio LabsTM
Where Music Comes AliveTM
Morton, Illinois (10 miles east of Peoria), Auditions welcomed:
Home | 10A Tube Preamplifier | Guarantee | Specials | Design Philosophy | Audio Links | Contact, Directions
Click to Enlarge:
Bernie: "I have also tested the 11A in terms of comparing the sound from my excellent cd source directly to amps versus inserting the 11A pre between. I could detect no difference whatsoever.... So, my two cents: the SAS preamps are stellar – with my 11A I hear no compression or any other alteration of the originating signal."
Graham: "I took the B11a into a shop in Auckland. I know the owner fairly well, and we agree that Shindo make some wonderful pieces of kit. (I wasn't looking for a change!) Almost immediately we started listening, he said "That's really fast!" We also agreed that the B11a was much clearer, making the Shindo Aurieges sound slow, muddy, and coloured."
Terence: "I have been using the 11A since I received it but I didn't want to be premature in my assassment, although my initial assessments were favourable. Now, I must say that the 11A is certainly the best preamp I have ever owned, and the best I have ever heard-ss or tube. Thank you for a wonderful product, Steve."
Charles Phd, does musical reviews for PBS, Florida: "I just saw this post and you know I have to chime in here. After three years of preamp auditions I just pulled the trigger on the SAS 11A preamp. It was an unknown product to me but Marty Dewulf over at BFS (and who knows whats going on there these days, by that I mean it seems that Marty has slipped into retirement - forgive me Marty if I am wrong) Anyway he always said wonderful things about the preamp! So having no mind of my own I bought the preamp from Steve at SAS audio. The reason I bought the preamp is that I did not want to do the crazy audiophile thing of always upgrading. Buying the SAS preamp was the best thing I could have done. It's wonderful! Clear, fast musical and very truthful to the source. And more importantly it works well with both tube and solid state amps (i.e. Pass 30.5 & Audio-space 300b mono-blocks).
Hey good listening
PS I have no connection to Steve at SAS audio"
Ray: "your prees are somewhat legendary in their reviews."
Jack: "My 10A is going to the grave with me, it's my favorite piece of audio gear. The 11A is better but they rarely come up for sale." (Jack auditioned the 11A at his venue.)
Bob: "Hey guys. . .if anyone's interested, I'm selling my Tram 2 preamp since my SAS B11A is so awesome...." (Tram 2 uses 45, 2A3s)
11A Tube Preamplifier Features:
Welcome to SAS Audio Labs. SAS Audio Labs is a small speciality manufacturer for those who wish the most transparent, dynamic, most natural musical reproduction in the world. The 11A is the true reference standard on which to build, or to upgrade other portions of one's system because.....
- Once the music is degraded, from any electronic part or component, it cannot be brought back to perfect pristine condition.
- Synergy is variable, not a fixed "entitiy". Ever add a component that improves the sound? You just altered the synergy, for the better.
The 11A tube preamplifier features include:
- For sonic consistency, critical parts are carefully matched. By the way, only one 11A tube preamplifier has ever been serviced. It was the touring preamplifier where a Mills non-inductive military grade resistor became noisy.
- Tube life up to 28,000 hours.
- The tubes total cost is approximately $40.00, not hundreds of dollars. The tubes used are superior with harmonic distortion some 1/8th that of any 6SN7GT variety/equivalent, or other tube type. What little distortion present is almost entirely 2nd harmonic due to circuit design (yes the harmonics can be altered by circuit design). (The new Telefunken 6DJ8s may also be used for the lowest noise possible, but will cost much more.)
- A massive 5 stage, properly designed power supply, so the power conditioner is essentially built in. But a power supply does much more. Besides filtering 120 hz and reducing RFI/artifcats, there is another signal source, but at the opposite end of the power supply that must be dealt with, the musical signal.
- One can set the gain for either high gain (20db) or low gain (8db). (Not by global negative feedback.)
- Easy control adjustment for different amplifier input impedances (Z). As the input impedance of an amplifier changes, the bass response changes.
- No solid state regulation etc.
- Tube dampers, and chassis resonance control incorporated.
- The mute relay is relaxed for approximately 45 seconds so no thump. (Still is good practice with one's audio system to power on the preamplifier first and power off the preamplifier last.)
- The output impedance of the 11A with typical 100pf interconnect cable capacitance is a superb -1.0db at 400khz. (The main limiting factor of high frequencies is the volume control to input tube/SS interface.)
The 11A comes in two configurations, with options.
- The basic 11A configuration comes with three inputs and two outputs.
- The standard 11A configuration has 5 inputs and 2 outputs.
- Optional HT bypass or Monitor sections are possible.
(I am retired, taking care of Mom eetc. However, I would be please to have visitors come to audition the preamplifier. This page also allows one to see the exceptional quality if a used 11A tube preamplifer becomes available.)
Take advantage of our 30 day money back guarantee (7 year warranty). You have nothing to lose and everything go gain.
11A Tube Preamplifier Specifications:Frequency Response: 0,6hz - 110khz minimum -1db (100pf, 100k load, vol control mid resistance, about 2 oclock pm position.) Gain: 8db or 20db (Two terminals per channel, unsolder and re-solder) Total Harmonic Distortion at 2 vrms: 0.015% (18db less than with any 6SN7 or variant) Channel Separation at 10khz: 90db typical at 10khz Signal Polarity: Inverts Input Impedance: 25k ohms (50k optional) Output Impedance: Approximately 1.9K (1900) ohms Min. Amplifier Input Impedance: 20k ohms Volume Controls: 2 Tape Loops, HT bypass: Optional Line Inputs: 3 Basic Version (5 Standard version) Preamp. Outputs: 2 Line Cord Length: 6 feet standard Power Consumption: 28 watts Power Requirements: 117/234 Volts AC, 50/60hz (120 volts, 0,25 amp slo-blo) Dimensions: 19" front 4" high (with stock feet) 14 1/4" deep (counting knobs and jacks) Actual Weight: 17 lbs. Factory Direct Price B11A: $2949.00 (Special $2500.00, one unit left.) Factory Direct Price Standard 11A: $3149.00 Factory Direct Price 1 meter "V" IC: $140.00Shipping included within the Continental USA. Outside USA, check with me on shipping charges.
To Audition or Purchase the 11A Tube Preamplifiers
30 day money back guarantee. Payment can be made from a Paypal account, a credit card through Paypal (use email@example.com for email address ), a Postal Money Order (US dollars), payable to SAS Audio Labs. Normal and very highly recommended shipping is via FedEx unless specified differently. Please allow for ample time for Money Orders to clear. For second day or overnight shipping, please contact me. Guarantee/Warranty
SAS Audio Labs
503 W Jefferson St
Morton, Illinois USA 61550
TEL: (309) 263-0736
Call or email to schedule an audition:
" * tm, sas audio labs, SAS Audio Labs,
SAS AUDIO LABS, and the SAS AUDIO LABS banner are trademarks of SAS Audio Labs."
copyright©: 05-23-2006. Updated: 06-07-2016. SAS Audio Labs and all contents of this article, including graphics, components, component layouts, any and all designs and schematics, "lead to lead wiring" are copyrighted. All rights reserved. No portion of this article may be reproduced without the written permission from Steve Sammet at SAS Audio Labs. Parts may be different than those shown. SAS Audio Labs is registered with the state of Illinois.